How Can Mindanaoans Help Manila
As of this writing 90% of Manila is still submerged in water as nonstop rain poured the city and its neighboring provinces. Some 200,000 families in 11 regions are affected. 3,000+ families have been evacuated to different evacuation centers for safety while rescue is still ongoing as there are still a lot of residents from every part of Manila and the affected provinces are crying for help (rescue).
This is another flood ravaging Philippines after the devastation of Ondoy and recently Sendong in Cagayan de Oro and Philippines. Now it’s Mindanao’s turn to help our fellow Filipinos in Luzon. If One for Iligan and Help CDO were whole-heartedly responded by them, it’s our turn to give back.
Photo courtesy of @likke
How can we Help?
1. If you are in Cagayan de Oro, please drop your donations at Happy Eggs Eatery along 2nd – 19th Streets Nazareth (near Fort Santiago Inn). This place was also a Relief Operation center during Typhoon Sendong.
If you’re in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, you can drop off donations at Rey’s Grill, Tabios corner Don Carlos Streets.
2. You can also get in touch with your local bloggers community as they are now actively raising funds and donations for the flood victims. Cagayan de Oro Bloggers, Cebu Bloggers Society, Iligan Bloggers Society, Davao Bloggers and Bukidnon Bloggers Social Media Club.
3. You can get in touch with non-government organizations, peoples organizations and civic groups in Mindanao that are collating donations to be sent to Manila. In Iligan City, for instance, I heard that JCI Iligan is gathering donations. You may also want to course your donations via malls. Abreeza Mall in Davao City can accept donations, still in Davao City – Donations accepted at Mam Bebs Bakeshop, C.M. Recto Avenue (near ADDU) (thanks to @dulcelada of DavaoBloggers for this information).
4. Donate through Red Cross. Here’s the official Philippine Red Cross website. You can even donate via SMS: Just text RED(space)AMOUNT to 2899 (Globe) or 4143 (Smart)
You can donate the following denominations:
Globe: 5, 25, 100, 300, 500 or 1000
Smart: 10, 25, 50, 100, 300, 500 or 1000
5. You can send donations in kind via LBC Express. You can drop off your donations to the nearest LBC Express outlet in your area. They will send the donations to Manila for FREE. However, please note that they cannot send to specific groups/individuals. Instead, LBC Foundation will forward the donations to Red Cross. Check the LBC Express list of outlets HERE.
Since news is not available 24/7 and you might not be in the Philippines also, you can monitor through different Social Media Networks (Facebook and Twitter). Follow credible sources on Twitter – @govph, @pcdspo, @dost_pagasa, @dohgovph and @NDRRMC_opcen.
Please feel free to tweet @chadacdo , @CDOBloggers or @Mindanaoan if you have any questions in dropping off your donations (In Kind or Cash). And if you plan to donate through paypal, I’ll keep you posted ones CDOBloggers announces the paypal account where you can send donations.